Membership is open to everyone interested in astronomy. Members are predominantly in Western Australia, but we also have members from other states, territories, and countries. ASWA has a range of facilities to support it members and promote astronomy, including:
- Tammin Observatory (dark sky site 2 hours drive from Perth)
- Whiteman Park Observatory (urban observatory)
- Regular meetings with interesting and informative presentations
- Regular viewing nights, including lunar, deep sky, and astrocamps
- The society’s journal, The Sidereal Times
- Forum and Gallery to share images and information
- A wide range of telescopes for loan to members
- Support of community events to promote astronomy
Our membership fees are as follows:
|Membership type||Annual subscription fee|
Ordinary members are entitled to full participation in all activities of the Society, to vote, to be elected to office, and to receive the publications of the Society.
When one member of a family is already an Ordinary Member, others of that family who are 18 years of age or older may become Associate Members. They are entitled to the same privileges as Ordinary Members, except for the receipt of publications.
Junior Members shall be under the age of 18. They are entitled to the same privileges as Ordinary Members, except to vote or be eligible to hold office (except as a Section Leader), or to borrow ASWA loan equipment (requires parent/guardian to sign as responsible party).
Student membership covers a person (18 years of age or older) enrolled full-time in a recognised course of education and not being in full-time employment. They are entitled to the same privileges as Ordinary Members.
Definition of Metropolitan and Country members for payment of subscriptions
All members residing inside the boundary of the Perth Metropolitan Region Planning Scheme are deemed to be Metropolitan Members for subscription purposes.
In addition to the areas well known as Metropolitan addresses the following Local Authority areas are within the above mentioned Scheme Boundary and therefore will be recognised as Metropolitan Areas and payment must be made at Metropolitan Rates:
- City of Joondalup, City of Wanneroo, Shire of Swan, Shire of Mundaring, Shire of Kalamunda, City of Armadale, Shire of Serpentine/Jarrahdale, City of Rockingham
- All other places in Western Australia, other states in Australia and other countries will be recognised as Country Areas.